Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: The Aubrey Rules by Aven Ellis

By 8:00 AM , , , , ,

The Aubrey Rules (Chicago on Ice #1)
    by: Aven Ellis

Publication Date: Aug. 26, 2015
Publisher: Soulmate Publishing
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: Adult
Source: e-ARC received via the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 261 pages
Order Links: Amazon
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Some of the Aubrey Rules to Live By:

*If I’m going to indulge in French fries, I must add extra time to the treadmill the next day.
*Always keep your work and private life separate.
*Being open to new experiences will never involve eating kale.
*Never, ever date a professional athlete.

For Chicago social media professional Aubrey Paige, the rules are everything. So much so that Aubrey has painstakingly written her rules for living into a polka-dot Kate Spade notebook that she carries with her at all times. It’s her personal guidebook to living her life. These rules are the Holy Grail—ones never to be broken. They guide her actions for everything, from dealing with workplace drama to finding a great guy to date. After all, these are her own rules, built from her life experiences and observations. So they have to be perfect, right?

Or are they?

Because when Aubrey meets a cute Canadian, she suddenly finds her rules being tested and challenged in ways she never dreamed possible. Beckett Riley is the shy, quiet, determined captain of the Chicago Buffaloes, a hockey team on the verge of turning the corner to becoming a winning organization. He’s Aubrey's opposite, with so many qualities that Aubrey had listed as ones she’d never want in a man.

Yet Aubrey finds herself drawn to Beckett in ways she’s never known. And when she unexpectedly finds herself working with Beckett, she wonders if rules are meant to be broken after all . . .


 
 
Any time I sit down with one of Aven Ellis's books I can always plan on the following: a sweet romance, a swoonworthy hero, a quirky, fun heroine, and a big grin on my face. Her newest book, The Aubrey Rules, is no exception. I completely fell head over hells for Aubrey and Beckett and my heart is still a bit twitterpated just thinking about how precious they were together.
 
I can always count on Aven's books to make me laugh. I was cracking up from the very first page. Poor Aubrey is a mess. She's late to an interview for a new job, she didn't get to style her hair to perfection, and to top it all off she faceplants in the elevator in front of an extremely hot guy. Bless her heart. I was embarrassed for her and couldn't help but cringe because I can totally see myself doing that. In fact, Aubrey's character completely reminded me of me. And while that wasn't always a good thing because girl has insecurities like whoa, it was refreshing to be able to relate SO WELL to a character. Aubrey was real for me. She wasn't model thin, she eats what she wants and then says she'll work it off later (I feel you girl), and she yammers. There were a few scenes where I would start to get irritated with Aubrey for her insecurities, but then I berated myself because I would be doing the same thing in her shoes. (Heck, I HAVE done those things before). She's a total sweetheart though and I love how protective she is of her friends and those important to her.
 
She has a witty charm about her and I love how she played that with Beckett. He was adorable and I loved how he was this sexy, powerful presence in the hockey rink, but he was so uncomfortable and shy when it came to talking about himself in interviews, etc. He has some insecurities of his own and I wanted to hug them right out of him. Both of them did a great job of reassuring the other of their feelings because sometimes insecure people need to hear it a few more times until it will really click. They do have a few moments where their insecurities get the better of them, but Aven does a good job of creating conflicts without there being too much angst.
 
Their romance is so sweet and I loved seeing these two spend time together. Another thing Ellis does so well is create this anticipation between characters. I was seriously on the edge of my seat for their first kiss. My heart rate was elevated and I was practically screaming at myself to read faster.
 
We also get to meet some pretty great secondary characters in this one. Livy, who is Aubrey's best friend, and Landon (Landy), who is a teammate of Beckett's. I enjoyed both of their characters immensely, and I am looking forward to seeing them again. Landy is an easygoing flirt and Livy has sworn off players after being betrayed by her last boyfriend. Naturally, I can't wait to see how their dynamic will play out.
 
I love that Aubrey has a set of rules to live by and we get to see those rules at the beginning of every chapter. It's great that she amends them as she goes, and up until she realizes she doesn't need a set of rules to follow. She just needs to follow her heart. Definitely pick this one up if you're in the mood for a sexy hockey player and a fun and witty heroine!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I so need to read something from this author. She sounds awesome and her books sound perfect for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.