Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

ARC Review: The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

By 11:13 AM , , , , ,

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2)
    by: Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Paranormal
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: e-ARC received from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 446 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.

                               
After reading Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series, I knew I had to read her new book The Immortal Rules. I loved the concept behind it- a society where vampires were in charge and humans were nothing more than meals, who had to be 'registered' in order to walk around freely. Those unregistered would be forced to live on the fringes of society, barely scraping by to find food, as well as staying hidden to avoid detection. I really enjoyed the freshness of The Immortal Rules, which follows Allison (Allie) Sekemoto, who goes from living on the fringe with her rag-tag friends, to being on death's doorstep, only to be saved and turned into a vampire. However, even after being trained by her sire, Kanin, Allie cannot let her humanity go so easily. She meets up with a group of humans on the run, searching for a place called Eden, where humans are still in control. Amongst this group, we meet Zeke, who Allie can't help falling for, knowing that it is wrong, and that he would turn against her if he found out the truth about her real nature.

The Eternity Cure picks up not too long after the Immortal Rules ended. Allie is on her own again, determined to rescue Kanin, who has been taken hostage by Sarren, another master vampire, who hates Kanin.

I think what I like most about Allie is her fierce determination. She refuses to give up, no matter how bleak things may seem and remains steadfast in her beliefs throughout the novel.

I will be honest, this book did take some getting in to. I struggled through Part I, as it was giving us alot of backstory to what was going on, and Allie was alone for most of it. However, once I hit Part II, things really picked up and then the rest of the story was a blur, I read through it so fast.

Allie forms an uneasy alliance with Jackal, the Raider King of Old Chicago, who was bent on killing Allie in the first book. After some surprising revelations are brought to light, the two head toward New Covington to find Kanin. However, the two will need to speak with the Prince of the city, and the only way to do that, is by venturing through the sewers, where mole men and fringers are seeking refuge. As in the summary, there is a new strain of the Red Lung virus that has been unleashed on humanity, which makes traveling through the city quite tricky. Allie and Jackal need a new way to reach the Inner Circle. They find a young fringer who brings them to his new leader, who happens to be a very familiar face.

I obviously do not want to give anything away or reveal any spoilers, so let me conclude my review with this: The Eternity Cure ended up being exactly what I was waiting so desperately for, and after waiting a month to be approved by Harlequin, it was definitely everything I could ever want in a book. After Part 1, the book's pacing is fast, the action is non-stop, and it will leave you breathless, wanting to know what happens next!

*Thank you to Harlequin Teen for providing me with an advanced copy of this book for review. I received this book in return for an honest review.*


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. So glad it got better for you! This was such a hard review for me to write. So hard not to give things away. Great Review! And I agree this book will definitely leave you breathless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It was hard to not spoil anything! I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete
  2. I am really looking forward to reading this.. I really liked Allie in The Immortal Rules. Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good one Jenea! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.