Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Taking Control by Jen Frederick

By 8:08 AM , , , , ,

Taking Control (Kerr Chronicles #2)
   by; Jen Frederick

Publication Date: Sept. 2, 2014
Publisher: Self-Published
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Source: e-ARC received via the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 280 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

I thought I needed only one thing in my life--the money and power to crush one man. But the moment I laid eyes on Victoria Corielli, my thirst for revenge was replaced by my craving for her.

No rule would keep me away; no obstacle too large to overcome. Not her will, not our differing social positions, not my infamous past. When she lost everything, I helped her pick up the pieces. When she trusted me with everything, she sealed her fate.

I've convinced Victoria she can put her heart in my hands. Now I have to protect it--from her shady stepfather and my business rivals, from enemies known and hidden. I'll do anything to keep her. And I might have to prove it, because now Victoria's risking more than her heart to be with me; she's risking her life.

 
 
First and foremost, I absolutely loved that this book was from Ian's point of view. It made the book that much more intense, as Ian himself is an intense, powerful guy. Having been driven by revenge and the need to make money for most of his life, Ian Kerr is not a man to be reckoned with. However, now that Tiny Corielli is in his life, we see Ian realize that the things that once tethered him to the world are not as important as the one person he'd burn it down for.
 
Ian's primary goal is ensuring Tiny's safety and happiness. I admire his need to protect her, as well as his understanding that Tiny will not be controlled. He wants her to remain independent and keep her autonomy, but is not willing to risk her safety to do so. I can't blame him, as he's made powerful enemies of his own. Tiny is still a bit fragile, especially after losing her mother. When her step-father wants to step in and play the role of long-lost relative, Ian is especially wary and distrusting of him, where Tiny is curious as to what he wants and feels obligated to hear him out, as it's what her mother would have wanted.
 
Tiny is one incredibly resilient woman. She has endured so much and hates feeling handicapped by her dyslexia. She still has trouble accepting that Ian loves her without hesitation and would want to be with her. That frustrates him and even angers him, that she would question his love for her. However, Tiny is one of those people who feels love through actions rather than words. She sees how much care Ian puts into her well-being and making sure she feels love and happiness, and that is what eventually starts to diminish her fears of not being good enough for him.
 
Jen Frederick really knows how to write some sexy scenes. Whew! While this is a New Adult novel, I would have to say it felt like borderline erotica. There's quite a bit of sex in this one and I did find myself speed reading through some of their encounters, as it was a bit tedious to read over and over again. That was my one drawback with the novel, if you can even call it that. I enjoyed the story, the characters, and seeing both Tiny and Ian get to a place where they can be free of the past and look to the future.
 
I am definitely interested in seeing companion novels for Steve and Kaga. I have a feeling those would be some crazy, sexy books!!! If you enjoyed Losing Control, make sure you pick this one up and see how Tiny and Ian's story concludes!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. So I kinda love the cover for this one haha. This sounds like a good read, although its a shame it seems there were just too many repetitive sexy times... love the sexy times but I always want them to contribute to the story itself. Great review Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love the cover too! He's so hot! I love men in suits! I love Jen's writing style and the plot was enjoyable, but too many sexy times for sure.

      Delete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.