Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

By 10:04 PM , , , , ,

Shade (Shade #1)
  by: Jeri Smith-Ready

Publication Date: May 4, 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Paranormal/ Fantasy
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Borrowed from Library
Page Count: 320 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan’s violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura’s new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart…and clues to the secret of the Shift.

                       -goodreads.com description

I've been wanting to get my hands on this series for quite some time now. And I'm so glad I did! I won't even lie.... this book is heart breaking. The first novel in Jeri Smith-Ready's series centers around the death and aftermath of Aura's 17-year old boyfriend, Logan.

Clearly, Aura is devastated by his loss. But to make it even more difficult, Aura sees ghosts, which means she can see Logan until he decides to move on. My heart really went out to Aura, as I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to lose someone you love dearly, only to not have them completely gone. It really is unfair to Aura for Logan to stick around, as she is not really healing.

Aura meets Zachary, who is an exchange student from Scotland, who begins helping her on her research project for school. Zachary is gorgeous of course (and oh the accent!), but he is kind and patient and is a good friend to Aura.

I feel bad for Zach, as he does admit to his feelings for Aura, and she for him, but he knows that she still is not ready, but that he is patient and willing to wait for her. He does mention once that he doesn't have the patience of a saint, so we'll see how this plays out in the second and third books.

I also really felt for Logan. Part of the time, I was really irritated with him. He does come across as selfish with how he doesn't want to let Aura go. And then I felt bad, because how must that feel? To die unexpectedly, being torn apart from your life? Or even worse, being able to see everyone around you move on with their lives, but with you only being a distant memory?

Sigh. This really was a great book. It was very fast-paced and I am really intrigued by the fact that Aura is the first person born after the Shift and Zachary was the last born before it. I can't wait to see how it all came about!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.