Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Someday Maybe by Ophelia London

By 11:40 AM , , , ,

Someday Maybe (Definitely Maybe #2)
    by: Ophelia London

Publication Date: Oct. 20, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Bliss
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Source: e-ARC received via the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 239 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Some guys are impossible to forget.

Rachel Daughtry has a 10-year plan that leaves no room for mistakes. Or not-so-serious boys—including Oliver Wentworth, the freshman boyfriend she's never forgotten. Now she's back in San Francisco with an awesome-slash-scary new job. Unfortunately, The Plan doesn't cover things like meeting her best friend's new “secret” guy...Oliver.

Fortunately, no one knows that Rachel and Oliver were ever together, and endless bikini wax torture couldn't make Rachel hurt her friend. But it's killing Rachel. She's not over him. Not even a little. And as her 10-year-plan crumbles around her, Rachel realizes that maybe—just maybe—Oliver feels the same way.

Now Rachel is on the verge of losing all control. And her best friend. And the love of her life...

Someday Maybe is a modern take on Jane Austen’s Persuasion that proves a second chance at true love is always worth the risk.

 
 
After having read and enjoyed London's Definitely Maybe, which is a Pride and Prejudice retelling, I knew I had to read Someday Maybe! I haven't yet read Jane Austen's Persuasion, so I wasn't able to compare the two, but I am all about second chance romances! London has such a fun, cute writing style so her books are not only easy to read, but they are pretty fast paced as well. I did feel this one went a little TOO fast. Some of the transitioning seemed a bit abrupt and at times I felt we were told instead of shown important details. That was my biggest issue with this novel. I loved the characters, the romance, and the story itself.
 
For the beginning of the novel, we flip back and forth between Rachel in the past and the present. We first meet her as a freshman in college, getting ready to begin her ten year plan so that she has a stable, successful future to look forward to. Her overprotective brother, Roger, is well known at USF and feels it is his job to make sure she stays on track and doesn't lose focus. Rachel decides to have one last night before classes begin to sow her wild oats before she really buckles down and blocks out all other distractions. Of course, it is that night she meets Oliver Wentworth. Oliver is the exact kind of distraction that Rachel doesn't need in her life, yet she can't seem to give him up either, thus starting a secret relationship with him. This obviously bothers Oliver, because let's face it: no one wants to be the dirty little secret in a relationship. Unfortunately Rachel doesn't do a very good job at balancing her time with Oliver and staying on top of her studies, and she starts to slip.
 
I like that London transitioned back and forth, slowly unraveling their relationship and then their eventual demise. I felt it really made the novel more effective, because you can really see how happy she was with Oliver and now she's alone starting a new job that is proving to be quite the challenge. Having not completely gotten over Oliver, it comes as quite the shock to discover that he is now dating one of her best friends. No one, save for Roger, knows about Oliver and Rachel's relationship freshman year so things are definitely a bit awkward and strained between them. It's not easy pretending they were never in love, especially since it's clear there's still something between them.
 
The flashbacks were what really made me fall for Oliver. Had we not seen him and Rachel together previously, I don't think I would have him enjoyed him as much. I was a bit irritated with him for dating Rachel's friend Meghan as long as he did, especially knowing Rachel was back in town and that he wasn't completely over her. Towards the end of the novel, we did get to see that sweet, caring side of him that I originally fell for.
 
I wasn't crazy about the dream aspect of the story, either. It felt a bit off for me, even though London does do a good job of having it tie in with the major events in the novel.
 
Even though this can be read as a stand alone, Spring and Henry from Definitely Maybe make a brief appearance and I was thrilled to see the two as adorable together as ever! I also really enjoyed Oliver's sister Sarah, so I wouldn't mind her getting her own story in the future!
 
If you're a fan of second chance romances and just a cute love story in general, definitely pick this one up.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This does sound really cute, but the dating the best friend thing would probably bug me just because that is something that always does. Glad you enjoyed though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't like that aspect. It bugged me too! Otherwise it's really cute!

      Delete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.