Tasty Tuesday #1
Hey guys! So I've been wanting to do a cooking segment on the blog for awhile even though it doesn't really have anything to do with reading. I love to cook and I have been trying to eat healthier again.
Most of my recipes are Weight Watcher friendly, but don't let that scare you away. They are actually really good. I've also found some great websites like Skinny Kitchen and Skinny Taste that I use a lot too. Most of my recipes have some kick to them, so if you are not a big spicy person, adjust the spices to better fit your tastes. OH. And all of the meals I cook are really easy to prepare. I'm not big on difficult meals.
Today I am featuring:
Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
-1/2 lb. mild Italian turkey sausage
-1 yellow pepper sliced thinly
-1/2 cup red wine
-1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
-2 tsp olive oil
-1/2 onion, chopped
-1 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
-1/4 tsp salt
-8oz. uncooked whole wheat fusilli/rotini *
-28 oz. fire roasted crushed tomatoes*
* Could also substitute rice for pasta.
*Fire roasted tomatoes are very spicy, so if you'd rather, just use regular crushed tomatoes
1) Cook and break up sausage over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Remove to plate once browned.
2) Heat oil- add onion and yellow pepper and cook until lightly colored.
3) Add wine and garlic- cook until most liquid evaporates.
4) Add tomatoes, red pepper, salt, and sausage to skillet and bring to a boil.
5) Reduce heat to med-low. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender and sauce is heated through.
6) While sauce simmers, cook pasta. Drain and then mix in skillet.
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup= 1 serving
Cook Time: 25 minutes
WW points +: 7
Recipe taken from weightwatchers.com
**I personally love drinking red wine with this meal. I'm a big Cupcake fan, so I paired it with their Red Velvet.**