Tasty Tuesday #48
Hey guys! I'm back again with another Tasty Tuesday!
I do alter my recipes to fit my own tastes, so please also feel free to refer back to the original recipe at the bottom of the post to see what I may have eliminated.
Most of my recipes are Weight Watcher friendly, but don't let that scare you away. They are actually really good. I've also found some great websites like Skinny Kitchen and Skinny Taste that I use a lot too. Most of my recipes have some kick to them, so if you are not a big spicy person, adjust the spices to better fit your tastes. OH. And all of the meals I cook are really easy to prepare. I'm not big on difficult meals.
Today I am featuring:
Chicken Sausage and Peppers Macaroni Casserole
-1/2 lb. chicken sausage
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 cup chopped onion
-1 small red pepper, chopped
-1 small yellow pepper, chopped
-1 clove of garlic, chopped
-1 14.5oz. can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
-1 cup marinara sauce
-1 cup water
-1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
-4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
-4oz. uncooked whole wheat elbows
1. In a large deep non-stick skillet, brown the sausage over high heat until cooked through and breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Set aside on a dish.
2. Add olive oil to the skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, and peppers; sauté until the vegetables are soft (6-7 minutes)
3. Return the sausage to the skillet along with the remaining ingredients except for the pasta and cheese.
4. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
5. Spoon just enough of the sausage/vegetable mixture to cover the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish.
6. Cover with uncooked pasta. Spoon remaining sauce mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven, let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
You can double this recipe to make enough for 8.
Serving Size: 1 piece of casserole
Serves: 4-6 (I cut mine to have 6 pieces, but the original recipe was for 8, so I reduced ingredients so it would make enough for 4.)
WW Smart Points: 8
Cook Time: 55 minutes
My Rating: 5 stars! I really liked this!
Recipe taken from www.skinnytaste.com