Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

By 7:08 PM , , , ,

The Selection (The Selection #1)
     by: Kiera Cass

Publication Date: Apr. 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Dystopian
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Borrowed from e-library
Page Count: 327 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 5/5 stars


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous man, Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

                  -goodreads.com description


I adored this book. SO much. You know it's a good book when you're sitting at school with a mountain of grading to do and yet all you can think about is, 'WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!'

The book's protagonist, America, comes from a lower social class and is in love with a boy (Aspen) who is in an even lower social class. I felt for Aspen, I really did. I understand that a lot of people still feel that the male is the one who should provide for his wife and family. And I hated that he felt like he wasn't good enough for her. Still, there was one line in the book that said something to the extent of how love wasn't enough between two people with differing social classes. Struggling to feed yourselves and your family could lead to problems and unhappiness in the relationship. America, however, didn't care. She loved Aspen, she was willing to make that sacrifice to be with him. And of course, he wouldn't let her. So he let her go. (Hey, Aspen. I admired you for doing that. I did. You did what YOU thought was best for her and that was very sweet.... but once you made that call, you should've stuck by it.)

Which leads us to Prince Maxon. (Yes, you can take note of my Team Maxon sticker.) I was firmly on Maxon's side for the whole book. He's a good guy who genuinely wants change in the kingdom and I think they balance each other well. I loved the whole 'friend' dynamic and instantly knew that she'd be the stupidest girl in the world if she thought she could keep that farce up.

The caste system Cass created was very interesting and I loved that she added that in there for us to see.

I liked America for most of the book, until the end. She started to irritate me with her actions and choices she made.

Anyways... can't wait for April to read Book 2, "The Elite"!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.