Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Velveteen by Daniel Marks

By 10:16 PM , , , , ,

Velveteen
   by: Daniel Marks

Publication Date: Oct. 9, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Genre: Fantasy/ Paranormal
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Borrowed from e-Library
Page Count: 464 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem.

The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it’s not a fiery inferno, it’s certainly no heaven. It’s gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn’t leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what’s really on her mind.

Bonesaw.

Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she’s figured out just how to do it. She’ll haunt him for the rest of his days.

It’ll be brutal... and awesome.

But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen’s obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she’s willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker.

Velveteen can’t help herself when it comes to breaking rules... or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her.

                  -goodreads.com description

I gave this book 3/5 stars on GR. I liked it ok, but not enough to say, "Wow, that book was amazing!" Don't get me wrong- the idea behind it was really neat.

Velvet, the main character, is dead and living in Purgatory. There, she is part of the 'Salvage' team, where they are to salvage souls who need to be brought down to Purgatory from the land of the living. However, Velvet's murder was quite grisly and violent. Therefore, she breaks the rules (therefore endangering her soul) and goes back to haunt her killer.

Her 57th soul save, happens to be Nick- tall, athletic, good-looking. Velvet is immediately attracted to him. What starts out as primal lust turns into something more for the two.  Nick's character was fun to read because he goes from freaking out one minute (upon finding out he's dead) to all of a sudden playing it cool and handling it like a pro.

Nick and Velvet's relationship and how their characters interacted with each other is really the main reason I kept reading. Velvet is sassy and bitchy, where Nick is more laid back and mellow. They ended up really working together, and I like how Velvet realized just how much she actually needed Nick in her life.

This book is classified as YA paranormal and alot of people really liked it, but it just didn't do it for me. I felt like alot of pages dragged on before we got to any real plot development/action.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nice review. Sometimes, books just don't jibe with you. I've read a few like that where every single review was a 5 star rave and I scratched my head asking, "Did I read the right book?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! And then I'll read a book that got terrible reviews and I love it!

      Delete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.