Tasty Tuesday #31
Hey guys! I'm back again with another Tasty Tuesday!
I do alter my recipes to fit my own tastes, so please also feel free to refer back to the original recipe at the bottom of the post to see what I may have eliminated.
Most of my recipes are Weight Watcher friendly, but don't let that scare you away. They are actually really good. I've also found some great websites like Skinny Kitchen and Skinny Taste that I use a lot too. Most of my recipes have some kick to them, so if you are not a big spicy person, adjust the spices to better fit your tastes. OH. And all of the meals I cook are really easy to prepare. I'm not big on difficult meals.
Today I am featuring:
Mexican Mac and Cheese Casserole
-2 cups dry whole wheat elbow pasta
-1 and 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
-1 and 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
-1 and 1/4 cups salsa
-1 tbsp. butter, melted
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-1/2 tsp. chili pwdr.
-1/4 tsp. garlic pwdr.
-1 can black beans, rinse and drained (OMITTED from recipe)
-1/2 cup scallions, sliced (OMITTED)
-1 cup fat free sour cream
-1/2 cup shredded, cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook pasta and only cook for 6 minutes so it will not be overcooked. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
3. In a large bowl, mix together cooked pasta, cottage cheese, tomatoes, salsa, beans, and butter. Blend in egg, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and pepper, to taste. Be sure to mix well.
4. Transfer pasta mixture to baking pan. Bake casserole 20 minutes.
5. In the meantime, in a small bowl, mix together sour cream and scallions. Remove casserole from oven after 20 minutes and spread mixture over the top, using a rubber spatula. It's a must to use rubber spatula for spreading to prevent the casserole from lifting up. Next, sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place back in oven and bake about 6 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
6. Remove from oven. Let casserole rest for 10 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.
*As you noticed above, I omitted beans and scallions from the recipe as I don't care for them.
Serving Size: about 1 and 1/2 cups
Cook Time: 32 minutes
WW+: 8 pts.
Recipe taken from www.skinnykitchen.com