Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Boiling Point by Tessa Bailey

By 8:00 AM , , , ,

Boiling Point (Crossing the Line #3)
    by: Tessa Bailey

Publication Date: Jan. 25, 2016
Publisher: Entangled: Select
Genre:
  Romantic Suspense
Age Group:
Adult
Source:
e-ARC received via the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 352 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 3/5 stars



Falling for a con man is the most dangerous game of all…

Con artist Austin Shaw’s been in disguise so long he’s not sure where his fake identities end and he begins. Now that he’s been strong-armed into working for a specialized undercover unit working with the Chicago police—criminals with unique “skills”—the last thing he needs is to risk his iron control. Especially when it comes to a certain stunningly sexy hacker who tempts him with every look of disdain.

Polly Banks will never, ever trust a con man. On the trail of a ruthless crook who destroyed the only family she’s ever known, Polly is unnerved by the shadow who follows her every move. The one who makes her pulse pound and breath short with lust. Austin. He’s infuriating, enigmatic, and pure sex appeal, and she’s determined to resist him.

But an untrustworthy man of disguise can become anyone he wants…including a man that Polly must trust if she’s to escape their dangerous game alive.



Having loved the first book in the Crossing the Line series, I was eager to continue (even though I've gone a bit out of order). It took a bit for me to get into this one though. I also really struggled to connect with Austin and Polly. I think it was mainly because they are both so guarded. Austin is an ex-con and is known for being the less serious one of the squad. He can transform himself into a multitude of different personas, so Polly didn't trust him considering what happened to those dear to her involving a con in the past. Once Austin started to actually open up to Polly and be himself and she stopped resisting the inevitable, I found myself liking their interactions much better.

I LOVED seeing the squad though. We don't get a ton of interactions, but the ones we do are just classic. Bowen is as gruff and grumpy as ever while being overprotective of Sera (which was sweet), Connor was stoic, Erin was quirky and fun, and we get a new addition to the team too! I am really looking forward to knowing more about Henrik, especially after that epilogue!

Tessa Bailey definitely doesn't hold back with the sexy times, which I always enjoy, but I found myself wishing the romance revolved more around the storyline, instead of vice versa. I wasn't a big fan of the first sexy time mainly because I don't like deception or how Austin orchestrated the whole situation.

It was interesting to see Austin take control when it came to Polly's protection, but when it came to their sexual relationship he was completely submissive to her. It hurt my heart to see why he let her have the control- he is afraid that he doesn't have anything else to offer her and he is afraid he'll lose her once he finally gets her.

The book really picked up for me in the second half, and I definitely want to read Henrik's story and go back and read Connor and Erin's!



You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I am so behind on all of Baileys books, I never even know where to start anymore because she has so many I want to read. So this actually helps because dont think I'll be starting here. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty bummed since I loved the first book! This one just didn't work for me though.

      Delete
  2. I have read some Tessa Bailey, and while overall I liked them, I wasn't madly in love either. And this one just doesn't appeal to me. Especially hearing about their first sexytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was super disappointing because I typically like her books. There have been a few I've been meh on, but I was really put off by that first encounter.

      Delete
    2. It's hard to connect to characters when they're guarded. Glad you still enjoyed the book, though.


      Majanka @ I Heart Reading.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it really is, I've noticed that in a lot of books.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't like this one as well! I totally get what you're saying about it though. I really liked this couple, but not quite as much as Bowen and Sera. They're still my favorite in this series. But Henrik's book? Can't. Wait.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.