Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Reviews: His Royal Secret and His Royal Favorite by Lilah Pace

By 7:00 AM , , ,

His Royal Secret (His Royal Secret #1)
   by: Lilah Pace

Publication Date: July 19, 2016
Publisher: InterMix
Genre: M/M Contemporary Romance
Age Group: Adult
Source: e-ARC received via NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 185 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

The first in an enchanting new male/male romantic duology from Lilah Pace, author of Asking for More and Begging for It ....

James, the handsome, cosmopolitan Prince of Wales, is used to being in the public eye. But he's keeping a king-sized secret...James, next in line for the throne, is gay.

He’s been able to hide his sexual orientation with the help of his best friend and beard, Lady Cassandra. Sometimes he feels like a coward for not coming out, but he daren’t risk losing the crown. If he did, the succession would fall on his deeply troubled younger sister, Princess Amelia. To protect her, James is willing to live a lie.

While on holiday, he meets Benjamin Dahan—a rugged international reporter with a globe-trotting, unattached life—who catches far more than James's eye. And when Ben is transferred to London, it seems fate may finally be smiling on James.

But what began as a torrid fling grows into something far more intimate and powerful. Soon James will have decide who he is, what he wants from life and love, and what he’s willing to sacrifice for the truth...

 
 
When I first saw the synopsis for this book, I knew I wanted to give it a try. I am such a sucker for books with royalty- no matter if it's a real country or a fake one. I also love some forbidden romance, and His Royal Secret definitely had that going for it!
 
I absolutely adored James. He was such a sweetheart and I wanted him to be happy so incredibly much. I can't imagine having to hide who you truly are because you are constantly under a microscope and the world is constantly watching and scrutinizing... He handles it with such grace though. Even when the media is bashing people he cares deeply for, he still manages to keep his emotions in check and remember that he has to consider every angle before moving forward. It's such a lonely life to lead -being both a gay man and heir to throne. When he meets Ben Dahan, the two have instant chemistry and after a chance meeting in Kenya, the two reconnect months later and begin a 'casual' secret relationship.
 
I liked Ben ok, but not nearly as much as James. Ben was harder to read and I wasn't sure of his true emotions. James wears his heart on his sleeve, where Ben is much more guarded. Considering his past, I get it, but I had trouble discerning whether or not he truly cared for James.
 
My one issue with this book was how quickly Ben decided he was all in. We literally have him going on about how he has to protect himself and that he wouldn't let himself be vulnerable to anyone ever again one minute and the next he's professing his love to James. It felt like whiplash and I was a bit skeptical that he could have changed his mind so quickly. Still, James loves him and wants to be with him, so that's good enough for me.
 
I also really enjoyed James's sister, Indigo. My heart ached for the girl and I wanted nothing more than to see her healthy and happy. I don't agree with the way James sheltered her. She needs professional help and I hope we see her get that in the second book.
 
Overall, I did enjoy this one! It was one sexy book and I have to caution you not to read it on a train like I did where nosy people can read over your shoulder!
 
 
 

His Royal Favorite (His Royal Secret #2)
   by: Lilah Pace

Publication Date: Aug. 16, 2016
Publisher: InterMix
Genre: M/M Contemporary Romance
Age Group: Adult
Source: e-ARC received via NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 245 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4/5 stars

The conclusion of Lilah Pace’s racy, romantic male/male duology following His Royal Secret...

James, Prince of Wales, is making history. He's decided to come out to his subjects—and the world. However, telling the truth means exposing his relationship with lone-wolf reporter Benjamin Dahan. Although Ben never wanted commitment, the unexpected depth of his feelings leads him to join James in the media's harsh spotlight.

When the news story explodes across the globe, Ben can endure the mockery and dirty jokes. But after his tragic past is cruelly revealed, his life begins to implode. Can even his love for James be worth this?

James has it no easier. His revelation divides the country and sparks turmoil within the royal family. He must struggle to defend not only himself and Ben, but also his younger sister, who hovers on the brink of a breakdown that could endanger her life.

Is Ben strong enough to survive the onslaught and stand by James' side? And will James have to make a choice between Ben and the crown?

 
 
After finishing His Royal Secret, I immediately dove right into His Royal Favorite. It didn't end on a cliffhanger per se, but James and Ben's story was far from over. As you can see from the synopsis, James has officially come out as gay and now begins the whirlwind of media, speculation and slander. James is used to being in the spotlight, but Ben isn't. His life is about to become very different and I felt bad for the guy. He knew what he was signing up for, but knowing isn't the same as experiencing.
 
I hated seeing Ben's deterioration of spirit in this book. It hurt. He loves James and wants to be with him, but this life wears on a person. We see how much it has impacted James's sister and while not the sole reason for her illness, it does play a large role in her anxiety. I am glad we got to see that addressed and it will absolutely tug at your heartstrings to see how wrecked James is over her situation. It is certainly emotional and difficult to witness, but I felt Pace handled it very well and am so pleased with how Indigo's story was resolved.
 
James and Ben have made tremendous sacrifices for one another and their love, and they continue to do so. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak, so I was pleasantly surprised at how everything was handled. Again, I felt Pace handled their relationship and their issues so realistically. They do not live in a fairy tale world where love is a cure all. Instead, she really sheds light on the fact that love is NOT always enough. There has to be balance, feelings of worth and fulfillment, goals of their own.
 
While this book was a bit tamer on the sex scenes, it still had its fair share of steamy ones. (Again- DO NOT READ ON A CROWDED SUBWAY TRAIN!)
 
I highly enjoyed this dualogy by Lilah Pace! If you enjoy reading about royals as much as I do, definitely check these out!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oh I liked the sound of these and then I forgot about them. I think I need to check them out. They sound so good. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews! I so want to read these two after seeing such awesome reviews of them and the premise sounds great. Glad you liked these!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.